9.07.2008

Things I Learned During this Hurricane

In no particular order:

1. Ice melts (even if it is in the freezer)
2. Some food needs a refrigerator or it will go bad, very bad (like the onions I thought were good and didn't throw away until day 6 with no electricity)
3. My shower radio was our only source of information and it had to be held at all times or static would erupt
4. Camera batteries don't last forever, and can't be charged when you have no power.
5. Cold showers turn hot at the end (I promise)
6. Cutting up limbs and sticking them in black trash bags gets them picked up faster
7. Pancakes on the BBQ aren't so bad
8. PB & J really is a meal (who knew?)
9. People in my neighborhood are very nice (nothing like extension cords crossing the streets to share generator juice)
10. Generators sound like pressure washers
11. Curfews made me feel like a teenager again.
12. Ice is a commodity (I heard it on the radio)
13. Closing the blinds and shades keeps your house cooler and darker
14. Tealight candles in little glass containers put off a good bit of light
15. Taper candles put off the most light
16. A/C IS a necessity 
17. We got really lucky, I have nothing to complain about after driving around BR for a little while
18. My dog hardly ate a bowl of food over the course of 4 days, but when we went to Pawpaws he hate 4 bowls in 2 days (the heat really affected him)
19. Living on Highland Rd. isn't all that beautiful (just wait til my camera battery is charged)
20. Oak trees fall down, and they are everywhere
21. The wind didn't whistle during this hurricane like it did in Andrew
22. Bobby Jindal has his SH*T together, (I need the "I voted for Jindal" bumpersticker)
23. I met Jacques Doucet and he is very personable
24. The people on WJBO are awesome.  I'd like to do something for Clear Channel people.
25. Gustav was worse for BR than Andrew

Overall this has been a very humbling experience for so many in our area.  I have come to realize that when we are prepared, we shall not fear.  Ultimately the Lord will provide.  May yall be blessed as you try to pick up the pieces and move on.

2 comments:

Kristen C said...

I am so glad that you guys are ok!!!

Jessica said...

PB&J has been a main course at our house for about 6 months now. :-) just ask brennan.
i am so glad you guys are okay. i am shocked at how horrible the damage is everywhere.
and yep...that bobby j. is amazing. i'm glad i voted for him that time he lost, since i couldn't vote for him this time around (you know, they have this rule if you live in omaha you can't vote for b.r. stuff anymore. who knew?)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin