9.03.2008
Compliments of Unsecured Networks
Comes this blog entry once again. We are staying the night at my work. My boss got word that we were watching movies during the day here and left a message on my phone to just stay the night. I was like wow how sweet. Course once I told Markus it didn't take him long to decide what he wanted to do. All we had to do was go all the way back to the house to get everything to stay the night. We have power at work, just no internet. I'm just happy to be in the A/C. It wasn't bad (being without the A/C) until I came to work and experienced the beauty of it all really. Fritz and Markus met me here and that is why I'm even able to write this now. Fritz is staying the night with us, and charging his laptop. I'm just excited to have some normalcy with electricity and experience the internet. As of early this evening BR is 92% without power. We have yet to find someone with power other than my work, which is at the Southgates of LSU. A lot of this area has power. It's just crazy. I just can't believe what I hear on the radio. Today they were saying it's weeks instead of days til some will get power. I mean thanks for thinking I'm a big girl and everything, but honestly I CAN'T HANDLE THAT RIGHT NOW! There's nothing like driving over live powerlines in the street just to get anywhere. If this was KATRINA, I'd have power by now. I think the saddest thing about it all is my dog, he even knows something is wrong. He's just like a kid who can't talk, they know. Boy do they know. It just worries me. I wish I could make him more comfortable. I mean you plan for food for a hurricane, but not to be without electricity for weeks. We only go shopping every 2 weeks for the next 2 weeks. Since Gustav was coming we didn't even bother, cause we didn't want to lose anything more in the frig. I figured it would be a couple of days til power. So that is what we shopped for. I find myself getting very creative with meals. Last night, pancakes and the eggs we didn't want to lose. The night before, chicken and hotdogs on the BBQ pit in our shed. It still reeks of BBQ smell. Fritz was nice enough to bring us his tabletop campfire stove. We had a BBQ pit, but it helps to have something that will cook a little bit quicker than a BBQ pit. I just don't know how prepared I could have been for this. Who would've thought? Much less what if the eye of the storm went over BR? It seems as if the long lines await all of us in this area until the crippling effects of no electricity subside. At this point I'm just hoping I can keep sane. It's so depressing. I'll have to post pics that I took that the news sources outside of LA probably aren't showing. From what I hear they sure aren't talking about the devastion we've experienced. Though someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'd sure love to be wrong about that. We didn't even get the damage to our property that I captured in the pictures, but it's still hard to look at. I almost started crying as I was driving into work this morning. Thinking to myself, will this city ever be the same? I can see how people of NOLA felt when Katrina disturbed life there. I have this strange sense of BR pride that I just don't remember having before all of this. Like we will survive and get through this. I'm just grateful that the man I voted for the first time around had enough sense to think even if it doesn't hit, I need to get everyone out and keep them on their toes. I'm also grateful that McCain didn't steal him from this state. Cause look, we really needed him. Especially through this. He had his sh*t together. I hope those videos get put on YOUtube. It would be worth listening to again. And the rant continues...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh, i am so sorry to hear about the possiblity of long term power outage. you know, they always estimate on the side of too long, so maybe it'll be a lot shorter then that. i hope you get to stay at work as long as possible. when we lost power due to a huge wind/hail storm (that still has bren freaking out every and again), they said we'd have no power for 1-3 weeks and it came on less then one week later. so...maybe a little hope for you?
we always shop for the newt two weeks like you guys do, so needless to say we didn't have much food when trent went back to check on our house. he stayed there for a few days but is coming back to my moms for the weekend (with his parents). we were prepared but not like we should have been. could i handle being without power for weeks? nope. and neither could brooklyn. even in the ac my feet and face are swollen like balloons. only five weeks till baby sophie comes. do we think br could handle another bad storm in a few weeks? at least you can sleep at your work. you need to get your boss a great thank you gift. trent has been going to our neighbors because they have a generator. what doi you think i should get them?
Post a Comment