9.18.2008
Explanation Behind the Poll
Monday was payroll. I never love those days because I'm the one who has to run it. Yeah we all like getting paid, but it's an annoyance for me. So included in the pay period was Hurricane Gustav. Needless to say most people weren't getting paid a whole lot, but I wasn't that worried because I am paid on salary. In my mind salary is determined with holidays and in this case natural disasters. Which as I see most of you thought (who voted at least) the same. Well after I cut paychecks, my boss asked me if I "prorated" the salary. HUH? I was like what are you talking about? He of course was referring to the hurricane and how we didn't come to work for a couple of days. I didn't see his point as with salary you get paid if you are at work or not. He then proceeded to demand I fix my paycheck along with the others paychecks who were also paid on salary and to tell them I made a mistake. I told my co-worker that was BS and I was just going to take a vaca day because I refused to give up any part of my paycheck. Long story short that same co-worker talked to the bossman and later decided that he wasn't going to do that. Grr... I kept wondering why the system wouldn't let me "PRORATE" someone's salary. There is no such thing. But how do you tell your boss who doesn't know any better that??? It would be called an excuse to him... the words "Make it Happen" come to mind. I hate those blasted words. I wish I could turn them around on the boss. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I can't believe your boss even asked you to do that in the first place!!! I have never heard of anybody doing that.
Jenn,
I just told Chris what your boss asked you to do, and he told me, "That's bull***. That's illegal." Then he told me to tell you to look up the Fair Labor Standards act.
I looked it up and on the US Department of Labor site, if you type "salary" in the search box, a document comes up that says, "The [salary] cannot be reduced because of variations in the quality or quantity of the employee’s work."
The link to that document is here.
wow. that is unbelieveable. the whole point of salary is that it doesn't matter how many hours you work, you get paid the same. i know you've worked quite a bit of overtime, and he certainly didn't pay you extra for the extra time, so why should you get paid less for working less. it definitely doesn't work that way. you have worked plenty enough hours to make up for the few days you didn't go to work due to the storm. you've got to set him straight. cuz if he is going to treat ya like an hourly employee, i'd tell him, ok, so then i guess i should pay my self for all the overtime i've worked...
okay, it sucks to have to stand up to the boss, but the law is the law and your friend erica brought the law. don't take a pay cut. bart didn't during katrina, and he worked for WEST, the crappiest of all crappy companies. oh, wait, he still works for that crap.
Post a Comment