8.14.2015

The Birth Story {Part 2}: The Down Low


Remember in the Birth Story Part 1 I mentioned we were visited by social workers shortly after we got our room in the hospital?  Well we were told they visit every parent who has a baby in the NICU.  I didn't remember this from Abigail being in there.  Markus swears they came.  I didn't remember that part.  Well though we thought it was kind of strange, I dismissed it.  It wasn't the only thing I dismissed that day.  When they walked Markus down to the NICU where Lucas was, Markus sent me a pic of Lucas.  You see the pictures the social workers brought us, Lucas appeared to have blonde hair.  I thought, no way!  He actually looked JUST LIKE ABIGAIL!  So the picture Markus texted me... the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture was, he (my son) looks like a Downs baby.  Quickly, I dismissed the thought and saw the brown hair.  Markus' words were, "dark hair".  It was clear his hair was really brown and not blonde.  I thought what kind of picture did those ladies give me.  haha.
The picture Markus texted me
Markus came back up to my room after visiting Lucas.  By that time I had my food and was feeling better.  Still waiting on my IV to get taken out.  Markus told me about the NICU and how Lucas' room was next door to the one Abigail stayed in just 2 short years earlier.  He said he waited around to talk to the dr. but she was tied up and would talk to us later.  I was on a high.  I just wanted the stupid IV out of my arm so I could go see my baby!
Well in comes Dr. Stewart and the 2 social workers we had seen earlier.  It instantly felt weird.  Why were we being visited by a Dr. (as opposed to being called) and why were the social workers back?  My mind was trying to be open at this point, but I was so confused.  The Dr. started saying how she was there when Lucas was born but she was observing him from upside down and how it was hard to make assessments of him in this position.  She started telling us about him.  I honestly don't remember now everything she said.  It. was. weird.  Then all of the sudden out of the clear blue sky... the words flow from her mouth ever so matter of factly, "Your baby has down syndrome".  Not only could you hear a pin drop, I could feel my blood pressure drop, I could feel my heart being crushed, I heard nothing.  Nothing but silence and 3 people staring at me and my husband that I didn't want to look at anymore.  How could this be possible?  I didn't understand.  We went to Maternal Fetal Medicine, why didn't we know anything about this out of our 3 visits with them and paying for double ultrasounds?  Why?
I don't think I wanted to understand anything at that moment.  I just needed silence to help my brain to open to the information I just learned about my baby.  Then on with more facts about the syndrome and tests that were being run on my baby and genetic tests this and that.  I practically only heard half the information.  I think my mind checked out and went somewhere that allowed me to maintain my composure and be an absolute mute while they were in the room.  Markus asked all the questions.  Seriously.  Anyone who knows me well enough, knows that is not like me at all!  I hated the way I felt.  I hated what I was thinking.  Then the social worker said something I will never forget.  She said it's ok to feel whatever you are feeling.  Well how did she know what I was feeling?  She also said it was ok to mourn the loss of the child we thought he would be.  She said he will still be Lucas, just not the Lucas YOU thought he would be.  For whatever reason, it make perfect sense to me.  And brought tears to my eyes.  She was breaking through my hard shell.
They left shortly after delivering the news.  Silence filled the room.  Not only did I continue being a mute, I froze.  Time stood still.  For several minutes.  I didn't know what to say to my husband.  How could we have created this baby?  What would he think?  Surely this was my fault.  That was what I thought.  I gazed out the window.  I just wanted to go back to him being born.  To the happiness I felt when I heard it was a BOY!  The relief that I had when the only name I had picked out could be.  Lucas.  It means light giving.  Light; illumination.  Then it hit me with more force.  This was all part of the plan.  God's plan for my little family.  He knew this baby was to be a "light" to us.  I tell you there was a point in the name selection where Lucas was the only one I would consider for a boy.  I loved everything about it.  I knew (almost) it would be the name of my baby.  God created this baby this way.  His way.  I tried to help my heart and mind get used to the idea.  I continued to think more.  More about what I have said for years.  The 2 people that know me the best in the world, my husband and my best friend knew exactly what I would always say, I always felt like I would have a child with special needs.  The more I thought about it, the more I knew that was just the beginning of the Lord preparing me.  Preparing me for this moment.  For this baby.  For my new life.  Literally.  It didn't help when I finally got around to muttering words through tears to Markus this little thought from the past.  He remembered.  My husbands forgets very little.  He agreed.  Yep.  Not that either of us were willing to accept our new reality at that point, but yeah.  Then the how would we tell people?  What would they think?  Markus was adamant about waiting for the genetic tests.  I prayed and prayed.  I asked God to help me to know if this was really true about my Lucas.  Help me to know before the genetic tests came back.  Then all the above flooded my mind.  Filled my heart.  Slowly my heart started to accept it.  If it was from God, how could I deny it?  I told my husband, he's ours.  We made him.  No matter what, he's ours.  There I said it.  It was true.   It was the first step to accepting Lucas as my baby.  The baby I birthed with great pride.  The baby I was overjoyed to learn he was a boy.  The baby who I prayed over.  Night after night.  The same prayer, Lord help us to open our hearts to this baby and accept him however he comes to us.  The baby who would/will ultimately change our family... forever.  That was a scary reality as I took the first step.
We visited him at the NICU when I finally got my IV out.  All I could see was a baby with down syndrome.  Little did I know at the time, that would be all I could see for a few days.  It was awful.  I was incapable of seeing anything different.  I looked at everything.  Everything from head to toes.  His toes were Markus' toes.  His nose was wide as my granny said the "LeBlanc" nose.  So many things were just like my other kids.  I just wasn't able to move past the "Down Syndrome" part.  It was eating at me.  We went back to the hospital room and crashed.  With not having any sleep that night I was in labor and it being the afternoon AND learning about my baby, I felt like I had been ran over by something that was not going to let me make it through the day unless I could sleep on it.  Markus and I both hoped in the hospital bed and held each other and fell asleep. 
We woke up to my brother in law and his sweet bride to be coming for a visit.  They were our first visitors.  We walked them over to the NICU.  It was a nice visit.  Awkward as we had news to share (not happy or exciting) about our baby, but I told Markus I wanted our parents to know first.   Sadly, we went through the whole visit without telling them.  I was kind of scared.  I was mad we didn't tell them in person and apologetic later.  Still hate that.
Then our sweet friends Fritz & Hayley stopped by as Winston & Dianne were finishing their visit up.   They were the first people we told about being pregnant back in December 2014.  Fitting that they came and would be the first to learn about Lucas and his DS.  They just didn't know it.  I didn't know it either.  They were our guinea pigs to try out our news with if you will... for the lack of a better way to say it.  We walked them over to the NICU.  Markus and I just stared at each other while they were mesmerized by Lucas and his size, etc.  We all sat down and I tried to find the words.  Tears began to flow.  The words came.  The feeling of telling our dear friends about our new reality was heartbreaking.  Heartbreaking for us and for them to receive it.  We talked through it with them.  Fritz didn't believe us, I don't think.  Him and Markus went around about physical features of the Down Syndrome.  And how he was not sure about the diagnosis, etc.  Honestly, we were still trying to absorb the information and reassure them and ourselves.   Told them about wanting the genetic test to come back before we could "confirm" things. 
We walked them back to our room, to be greeted by our families anxiously waiting to get eyes on Lucas.  Instant sadness and disappointment came over me.  How in the world were we going to tell them?  We said goodbye to Fritz & Hayley and HELLO to our parents and siblings and my children!  I was overwhelmed by the sight of so many members of our family in one room.  I could barely look at my kids the same as I had the day before.  They looked so, normal.  It was crazy.
I whispered to Markus you tell your family and I will tell mine.  Markus walked his family to the NICU first while my family waited in the hospital room.  I was nervous and anxious and trying to establish good timing.  So here goes... more tears.  Surprised looks and tears from my mom and sister.  It was just how I thought it would be.  Love and support welcomed me at the end of the news.  My mom said, "we will get through this Jennifer".  At that moment I believed her.  It's a rare occasion, but I believed her words at that moment.  There were lots of questions from them.  Some of which I could answer.  Others, I couldn't.  It was becoming more real.
Markus' family returned.  I was greeted with hugs.  Bigger hugs than before.  It was becoming more real.  Tears filled their eyes too.  I walked my family down there.  They didn't get a lot of time with Lucas.  It was coming up on shift change.  I was sad we didn't get a lot of time.  They were so into him and his little features.  It was cute.  Pictures the whole nine.  We got back to my room and they left shortly afterwards.  I ordered dinner and asked Markus about how his family received the news.  We discussed how both of our families took the news.  He told me his mom, brother and sister didn't believe it.  I told him my family was shocked, but accepting of the news.  We talked about how differently our families are and how they received it.  We also talked about how we can't tell people how to react or receive the news.  We learned something else in that moment of truth, everyone will have their own reaction and deal with it in their way.   It was becoming more real.  Slowly.
We went back up to the NICU to spend time with Lucas by ourselves.  We had some great nurses that day.  One of them was Mrs. Suzanne.  She said exactly what I needed to hear.  I balled.  I lost it.  And she was so sweet.  She gave me a huge hug and told me about faith and humility and how God gave us Lucas.  I knew she was right.  I could feel God using her to confirm to me this was how it was going to be with Lucas.  She told me about 2 other ladies who had kids with DS.  She has from that day made certain I've talked to as many people as I can about DS kids.  I'm so incredibly thankful to her for that.
I left red faced and teary-eyed that night from the NICU.  The whirlwind of a day was drawing to a close.  I wished that I could get a do-over in a sense.  Or make parts of it go away.  It was only the first day to the beginning of a new direction our family would journey through.  I was obviously not ready or prepared for it in any way.  But ultimately, I think God knew what I needed and how I needed to know about my baby and this was the best way for me to find out.  Scary, but true.  I would have gone into a nervous breakdown if I knew this before this baby was born.  I think so.  But that I will never know.  Because I was spared that preparation in a sense. 
Here's to turning the page and starting the next chapter of our life with a new little baby, Lucas James.  Oh how we love him so, Down Syndrome (extra chromosome) and all.  And we have the genetic test to prove it!

Thanks for stopping by!  Sorry it was so long, it was more so for me.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin