11.11.2009

Reflecting on Veteran's Day

My Daddy in the Middle
Every time Veteran's Day comes around I think of my Daddy and Grandpa. Wish I had a picture of my Grandpa in his uniform but I don't. Daddy always talked about the Navy. It was one of those things that you better be prepared to listen if you brought up anything about the Navy or Vietnam. I loved to hear his stories. I'd still love to hear them from his mouth. He was very proud to serve. Least that's what I remember. He served in the Vietnam War. His dad on the other hand, didn't talk much about the Army. Not to us grandkids. Grandpa served in World War II. My parents would always tell us that's why Grandpa couldn't hear... because of the War. We would always have to yell at him.

I'm so happy to live in this country and more so that my Daddy and Grandpa were veterans of this great Nation. They along with others have fought and served for people like me (you) to enjoy what we do today. Thank you to all the Veteran's who have given so much, even their lives. Nothing makes me prouder to be an American as when I saw the flag draped over the casket of Daddy & Grandpa. What great men they were!


2 comments:

Jolie said...

Very nice pic hun. I remember seeing this one. He looks mischievious and happy! A Black and White of this blown up and cropped so its just him would look kewl! luvs! nice post!

Adrienne said...

We are grateful to them too! What a wonderful example to set for your grandchildren! My papa served in Korea but he never really told us stories. I often feel like patriotism has diminished today, that the youth don't understand what went in to making this great country. One of the reasons I love history so much and try to get these kids to understand how important our country and our government is. We must never forget these men and we must never forget how blessed we are!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin