11.24.2008

OBAMA CHECK revisited

I can't believe I'm the only one who got one! Wow he must really love me for voting for McCain. Imagine that? J/k. No me and Markus were just laughing about how Obama voters think he's going to take care of their houses, cars, gas, etc. (fill in the blank) and I was like well he's gunna buy us a tv. You know the one I promised Markus last year in this post. It's finally here. Markus caught up with a great deal and I gave into his wishes. Early bday, Christmas and well I think it has him covered til next time around this year! He's been extremely patient with me on this whole tv thing and it's about time for him. We even lucked out and got a console from Pottery Barn that was regularly $599 for $140. I was excited for my find. I officially have a PB piece of furniture in my house. IF we had the money I'd buy all the pieces in the set, they just didn't have them in stock at our store. :(

8 comments:

Cherie' said...

Hahaha! Jesse and I are expecting our BMW any day now.

Erica said...

While I certainly understand that people are looking for a little hope in these times that seem so bleak, I wish you wouldn't generalize so much about "Obama voters."

I'm a proud Democrat, and while Obama wouldn't have been my first choice from among the Democratic candidates, I did vote for him. I didn't do it because it was "cool" or because I think he's going to fix EVERYTHING but because he, and his party, more thoroughly stand for my ideals - helping those less fortunate than myself, equal rights for those that choose a different lifestyle, and making sure that healthcare is seen as a right, rather than a privelege.

I certainly believe in the value of hard work, and the importance of personal accountability, but if something were to happen to Chris, I would be in a tough spot financially since I'm at home. Sure, I'm college educated and could get a job, but my earning potential is much less than his at this point, and there would be major changes that would have to happen.

I've seen social programs work firsthand. Chris' family didn't have much money growing up, and he was one of the students getting free lunch, and he also got TOPS while in college, which made it possible for him to get not only his undergrad, but graduate degree as well. When my grandfather left my grandmother (who married at 18 and was a stay-at-home Mom to 4 little ones) she went on welfare for a period, during which she was able to get an education and became a home-care nurse and contributing member of society. I hate to think what would have happened to Chris and my grandmother and mom if they hadn't lived in a country that provides a support system.

So yes, I voted for Obama, and no, I don't think he (or any other person) is going to fix everything, but I think his plans are a lot better than what's going on right now.

The Awesome Rawsons said...

Obama's handing out money? I'm confused.

Jolie said...

oh dear!!! Well, yes, better is always good. We'd like to all think that each President will be better than the last no matter what party they belong to. We do live in a privileged country that many take for granted and that WAS a country united under GOD, and as such we are, I feel, responsible for helping the rest of the world. we have helped many many countries over the years obtain their freedom as we should as the privileged, promise land. It would be so nice if this typical tap dancing on his words politician who has just become president elect would also realize what he has become and live up to what used to be considered a revered office of the people. Hopefully he truly knew what he was getting into and truly wants our nation and others to progress.

thecaillouets said...

i justh ave to say i dont comment often bu i love reading your blog!

Omi said...

hehe... so you joined the flat screen hdtv club! congrats. yeah, i think the obama voters that think he will pay for their gas, home, etc...are incredibly stupid. you know...welfare isn't a bad thing, but this country needs to take a page out of the church's book in that area. permanent welfare is what the country seems to have...i think if ya need help, return the favor!!! seems like we should expound on our views so our friends don't go off on us. lol.

Jenn said...

To Erica & anyone else:

McCain was not my first choice and I never even considered him, until it was left for me to decide between him and Obama. That is when I made my choice. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican. I'm an independent conservative. I don't think either party stands for my ideals and I think others in this world would agree with me also.

I too share with you in the value of hard work. It was something that was ingrained in me at a very young age. My dad was always out of work. We too were very poor especially when my mom was a single mom for much of what I remember. Not too poor enough to "qualify" for free lunches or anything of the sorts. Supposedly she made too much money. And that is where I see a problem with the federal welfare program. It's not for everyone. Poor has its qualifications. If it wasn't for our church's welfare program (which is only for a limited time) we wouldn't have been able to eat a many a day. It's programs like my church has in place where you can only stay on for a limited time that work. It's there to assist you not to support you for life. Our church has been asked on numerous occasions by the federal government why our welfare program works and that is why.

I didn't get TOPS because I moved my senior year in High School. I only came back to La. to support myself with 2 jobs of which I'm sure you remember from working at the GAP with me. I don't know where school would have fit into my life then nor do I see it now. Markus and I are working our butts off to pay for his school in cash so we can have a life after he graduates. He didn't get TOPS either. But for him it was because he missed it by a tenth of a point. His parents made too much money for him to get assistance and so it goes he has since worked the past almost 10 years to pay for it out right. When we got married we tried to get some sort of assistance since I was quitting GAP. Same answer once again, you make too much money. So there is a glitch in my opinion in the system of trying to get assistance. I wouldn't classify us now as poor, but when we first got married, we could barely make ends meet and pay for Markus' schooling which I hope one day he can contribute his paid for education to society. But what we reap as such we will sow is what I've learned, so that is the sweet promise.... it will all be worth it.

Meanwhile, we can't sell our house when we were planning on because supposedly capital gains taxes are going up. Great, so I guess if Markus gets a job outside of Baton Rouge or Louisiana we'll just have to lose what we've worked so hard for just to be redistributed to where the government sees fit. I contribute a great deal to my church who I trust places it in reach to those who are in need worldwide. I don't need the government to do that for me. I think that is where I choice is shrinking in this great free nation. I could go on, but I've got to stop somewhere.

Thanks for listening,

Jenn

For your info Omi this was sent this AM and we must have been on the same page with the church welfare program. Crazy, huh?

Erica said...

Jenn,

I guess when I hear people refer to "Obama voters" as a single group and stereotype them, it really makes me bristle. I would never refer to a "Bush voter" or "McCain voter" as a group to stereotype.

Democratic voters are different, and vote for the party on different issues. In no way am I stupid, naive, or lazy because I voted for Obama, and there seems to be a lot of intolerance and a lot of name calling since the election. (I'm not speaking just of you, but of what I'm seeing, reading, and hearing everywhere.)

I know that not everyone agrees with my political views, and I think that's just one of the things that makes this country so wonderful - we're all entitled to express what we believe by being politically active. With Chris being in the military, I am acutely aware of the amount of people that hold more conservative values; we are definitely in the minority on our views.

I know there's no changing anyone's mind in a forum like this, and I'm not aiming to. I want people to realize that negatively catergorizing "Obama voters" as a whole seems very small minded. Jenn, you've known me for years, and you know how Chris and I live our lives. We are Christians, we hold our family very dear to us, and have chosen to raise our family in a very traditional manner; I'm sure the most of your friends are much like this.

One place where we differ is where we want our money to go. I do believe in government, and while the systems aren't perfect, it's what we have; I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I also think that taxes are a bit like my "dues" for living in this country. Because I live in a country that has given me so much, I owe it, in a way, to fund things for others. I feel like the best thing I can do is vote and try my best to choose people I think will do what I would like to see done. I think church aid programs are fantastic, and the Catholic church runs many, many programs. I also don't want that to be our primary means of helping people. I believe very strongly in the idea of separation of church and state. I don't want to get my government from my church, and I don't want to get my church from my government. They are two very different entities to me.

All I ask is that you would perhaps be more aware comments that you make. Obama voters, like McCain voters, are far from homogenous and it's not right to imply certain things because of our political affiliation.

P.S. I also was not able to get TOPS because I did not graduate from a Louisiana high school, although I was a Louisiana resident. Nevermind that the only reason I didn't is because my dad was serving the military overseas. My dad maintained his residency, voted in, and paid taxes in Louisiana though his 22 years of service brought us around the world. Talk about frustrating!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin