11.13.2007

Fair or Unfair? That is the Question

Saturday while speaking to my sister in law I learned that her parents are buying her a washer and I think a dryer. She stumbled on her words while dryer was coming out, so I didn't quite get all that down because my mother-in-law was standing in the sme room looking at her daughter and me like, uhhh... Here's why I'm annoyed and well think it's unfair. Sister-in-law is engaged to be married at 20, and the fiance was asked to wait until she graduated school. (That'll never happen for the record) They decided they were going to buy a house, did I mention she was engaged supposedly 2 years out from being married? Dumb idea, but glad it's not me. Anyways, so she's telling me the things his parents are buying them and the things the in-laws are buying and all I could say was, "Aren't you lucky?". Markus got a $50 gift card to home depot for buying his first home and making the big step and we were freaking married and could BOTH enjoy it. What the hell? I guess being responsible and making good choices Oh and being the oldest doesn't warrant much. I mean I am grateful for anything they give us, but I don't know. I didn't expect anything from them until now.

So, fair or unfair? That IS the Question

4 comments:

jamie said...

So in my experience...people are often rewarded for making not the best decisions...especially when it comes to parents. Brett's brother got married in college they were broke. Of course. Most people are. But then his then-wife decided to quit working and he was "on his own" financially with his income from his part-time job or whatever. So he cries to his parents every month about not being able to pay his bills or his mortgage and they always helped him out.

So Brett learns from this, is terrified of ever having to ask for help, and of course we both worked while in school and delay kids until we can "afford them" since obviously three kids in college didn't work out for his bro.

Now his brother is divorced and still can't afford anything. He is going to be living for free in their condo and his parents just bought him a car (cheap but still a car) and paid the insurance for him on TOP of the 10k they gave him last summer. SERIOUSLY??? I'm not really jealous for his being broke and in debt but it makes no sense to keep rewarding bad decisions. You grow up and feel like good behavior should be rewarded. And sometimes its not.

Jessica said...

yeah, things like this always piss me off. at least if my parents do it, we have enough sense to keep our mouths shut.
and why the hell is it that people are rewarded for bad behavior? prego unwed women get free health care, some food, etc. me, i get a $200 a month insurance bill, and still will have to pay $$$ if i ever decide two kids should be three (not happening any time soon)
i'm not saying take the benefits away from those in need...i'm just saying pass it around a little more.

Jenn said...

Thanks Jess and Jamie, I needed both of your comments and completely agree with both your point of views.

Leah said...

Sooooo not fair! Been there myself, and unfortunately, doesn't seem to ever change.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin