For a change, I decided I would have my mother over for dinner instead of going to my MIL's this year. It's funny because my MIL usually cooks anyway, which I don't agree with on Mother's Day, but anyhow we're going to visit them today. So my mom was surprised that I asked her over for dinner, but I figured my sisters wouldn't be doing anything, so I wanted her to be with us instead of alone for Mother's Day. Here's our menu for tonight:
Mother's Day Dinner
Spinach Balls
appetizer
Citrus Spinach Salad in a Parmesan Frico Cup
salad
Chicken Cordon Bleu
main course
Garlic Bread
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
dessert
My mom's mother would make her pineapple upside down cake and after coming across this recipe (yes from scratch) from the early 1900s I made it for my Mom's Birthday. She later told me that it was very close to how her mom used to make it and told me to add more pineapple juice and it would probably taste just like her moms'. That of course was cool to me because I never knew her mom and thought that was neat.
So Happy Mother's Day mom. I love you and hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. You have taught us girls so much and I sure hope you're proud.
Pictured below is what I got myself for Mother's Day. I love love it and knew as soon as I saw it that I had to have it. I'm not sure about the bright green yet, but we will see. It's still so new I don't know if I want to change it yet.
2 comments:
I had to laugh when I saw the menu. To have such a beautiful and well thought out dinner is such a "Jenn" thing to do. I love that you are so domestic. I look up to that quality in you.
As for your comment on my blog...c'mon over! It would be such a gift to have ya'll here. The river center mall which is on the riverwalk reminds me of the riverwalk mall in new orleans, but the riverwalk itself is different. Its lined with wonderful restaurants and shops. There are beautiful flowers and gardens around. I really enjoyed just walking along the little river.
Ok so I have a confession to make Courtney... I totally forgot about the garlic bread and the Parmesan Cup didn't turn out very well. I didn't have the Silpat ($24 @ Williams Sonoma) nor did I get the good parmesan. So I'll know what to do next time. But that is the beauty of cooking. I think eating out on the deck made up for it. :)
Post a Comment