5.27.2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!!



He would have been 60 today.  Big 60.  That would be a fun party.  I love this man.  He was always the light of the party.  This picture was taken in 2003, the last time we went to  New Orleans (I didn't even have a digital camera then).  He'd always request to visit his grandma's house and this time he insisted on taking this picture.  He would have a story to tell every street we went down in the Quarter.  His mind was amazing when it came to telling stories.  As his health failed him, his memory did too.  But his stories live on forever as I remember his Birthday.  May 27.  My favorite number 27.

I remember his laugh and how loud it was and how often he laughed at the dumbest things.  I remember his sneeze and how much of an impact it made when you heard it and how you would get annoyed to hear it.  I remember his snore and how funny it was (especially as a child).  I remember his hair and how soft it was and how I wished mine were like his.  I remember his poor taste in clothes and how he'd put the funniest things together.  I remember his silly jokes like, "you can call me jay or you can call me ray, but don't call me late for dinner".  Like how funny can that really be??  I remember the pink shirt he loved to wear and only when it wasn't cool anymore.  I remember he always had a camera in his hand and that camera is now in my hands.  I remember, I remember.... I mean gosh I could go on for hours.  That is not what this is about.

But I miss him and I am happy he will know my babies before I do.  I guess I couldn't ask for anything more.  Happy Birthday Daddy.  I would be the first to call you today if I could.

3 comments:

Karlee said...

WOW! Crazy that he would be 60! As I was reading this is reminded me of the one thing I will always remember your dad for...teaching me how to open a banana! He was over at our house doing some work for my parents and I was struggling to peel my banana. He saw me and came over and showed me how to do it, and ever since I can peel a banana! I VERY important thing to know how to do...especially now that my son LOVES bananas! Good thing he taught me! SOO funny I remember that so I thought I'd share!

The Awesome Rawsons said...

Oh, Jenn. That's true! He knows your little babies and is telling them stories already. What a cool thing. I didn't know your daddy, but I'm glad that you posted the things you remember most. Its important to keep remembering. Love you.

Jessica said...

We are so lucky to have such wonderful people in our lives...sometimes we might wonder why they have to leave so early, but somebody has to watch out for our babies in heaven and for us, too. Happy Birthday!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin