4.23.2009

Luxuries

I think we Americans enjoy plenty of these.  I miss mine.  I'm about to miss more too.  A luxury is defined as a free or habitual indulgence in or enjoyment of comforts and pleasures in addition to those necessary for a reasonable standard of well-being or  a pleasure out of the ordinary allowed to oneself.  

So here is to the luxuries of this world that clearly I MISS:

I miss not being able to eat out on the weekends when I don't feel like cooking.
I miss buying anything my little heart would desire from Hobby Lobby (which I haven't stepped foot into since before Christmas)
I miss fixing up my house.
I miss shopping the sales.  Any sale. Especially at PB.
I miss trips to the mall.
I miss getting my hair done when it desperately needs it.
I miss grabbing food off the shelves and not really NEEDING it.
I miss ITunes cards.
I miss working only ONE job.
I miss going to Pottery Barn.  Haven't been there since January.  DO you remember how much I loved that store :)
I miss scrapbooking.
I miss going to baby showers or bday parties or anything that would require you to bring a gift.
I miss making whatever I wanted for dinner even if I had to buy the ingredients before I got home.
I miss going to my in-laws whenever we felt like it.
I miss not caring about what the cash register says.
I miss my house being clean. (weird, I know)
I miss reading books.
I miss going out with friends.
I miss not paying for football tickets (thanks to my in-laws :))
I miss going out for lunch.

Ok so clearly I could go on.  But one day I hope to look back at this list and laugh at it.  AT least that is my hope.  What do you miss or have given up... lately??  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I agree with every single one of those "I Miss". That's life I guess. Once you have children you give up a lot you enjoy.

Jenn said...

OK Amanda so I guess what you are trying to say is maybe this is the Lord's way of preparing me for children??? Oh goody. As long as I can eat a little better when they come :)

I also for got to mention I miss TIVO. And how :( But miraculously I'm getting along without it. Imagine that?

Lexi said...

You don't have to give up reading!

I was spending a ton of money one new books because I love the smell of fresh paper and cracking a new spine, but you can find a lot of the new books that are on the bestsellers list at the library now.

And if they don't have it yet, you can request it! If you just have to have your own copy, you can buy second hand at half.com, amazon and even barnes and noble.

They also have a Netflix/Blockbuster version of sending paperbacks through the mail and when you are done, you send them on in an envelope. You can get extra points I think by rotating your own books that you no longer read but others might want to. I'm not sure what the system is called, but you could do some research if you were interested.

Pretty nifty!

The Awesome Rawsons said...

I don't think i've been able to do most of those things since I was married. thanks to the tax credit for buying our house we've been able to buy real furniture and paint, but once its gone, its back to the way things were!

for the record, i miss YOU!

and I need your address. would you mind sending it to me at tanshinoko@yahoo.com

Jolie said...

Gosh Jenn, i agree! I miss thinking your friends really are your friends. I miss thinking I'm invincible to a point. I miss knowing a little overtime will cover the most recent splurge at the grocery store or Target or IKEA! I miss rare juicy filet mignon! I miss golfing. I miss feeling like a princess even if it was of my own making the last couple of years. I miss going to a movie whenever I want. I miss being able to drive all over to think. I miss being able to buy whatever in attempt to make my yard look better. I miss my family so much, especially now that I can't afford to go see them. And, I miss truly truly believing the fairy tale is still possible.

Omi said...

oh, yes, there are certainly times when life really hits us hard and brings us back to what are really "necessities" and you know, surprisingly enough, there are alot of things we think are necessity, that are really a luxury. we just see what everyone else does or has etc. and think we deserve to be able to do the same...and then our budget doesn't allow for it, so then we feel like we are broke, when really we need to just look at what we do have. john and i have never had the benefit of enjoying lots of luxuries that eventually have to be given up, but we have given up eating out...even to celebrate aniversaries...and picking up anything like "papa murphy's" has been out of our budget for a while...we haven't had cable/satelite for over a year now, but we manage, and it's not that hard either...with the internet and all. it's a mere waiting til the next day to watch a show online or something. but we have sacrificed all this to get out of debt. we are so set on living on nothing so our income really stretches that we are kinda used to it! i haven't had hobbies in months... but once we get the house...we're going to really get used to living with only necessities until john gets a raise.

but you know, i think that is how the truely wealthy people of america stay wealthy, they are so used to living within their means that they decided they don't need the big huge fancy house or car, and that they only get what is "sufficent for their needs" and all that is left over is invested and makes them millionaires. if they went and got all these luxuries, then they wouldn't be rich, they'd just have a bunch of "stuff"... anyhow. just ranting. but i'll tell you flat out, get used to it, if/when you have kids...money just gets tighter. but you already know that.

so john just made a comment i thought i'd throw in, he said "sometimes giving up certain things has blessings, like realizing you can do without it, and maybe when you get the money for it again, you realize you never really needed it, and you can use the money for something else"

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin