7.20.2008

Thanks Mom!

I will be the first to say that my mom didn't teach me HOW to cook.  I say that because she really didn't.  BUT she did teach me ABOUT cooking and the importance of having a home cooked meal.  This thought just occurred to me yesterday morning at about 11am when Markus and I were hungry.  In a effort to whip him up something quickly so we could eat, I offered to make him pancakes.  I made them from a box mix as it was much quicker and I had no milk in the house to make real homemade ones.  As he started eating them, he utters "they are good, but you've made better"  I just kinda laughed.  For 2 reasons.  1. I have never made him "real" pancakes (it had always been box mix just doctored up) and 2. He was thinking of my MOM's homemade pancakes.  Which by the way are the bestest ever.  So it was then that it dawned on me.  How could I cheat my husband out of a potentially great breakfast by thinking an out of the box mix would be like mom's pancakes??  My mom took great pride in making us homemade meals especially breakfast.  It was nothing for us to wake up to the smell of pancakes or waffles with eggs and bacon going and all we had to do was grab our glass she put in the freezer and fill it up with some cold milk.  Though she didn't teach me any of her recipes in cooking she did teach me the by the sweat of our brow may we enjoy the fruits of our labor.  The fruit of course enjoying a yummy home-cooked meal.  And it is because of this that I do in fact enjoy cooking for Markus and I and the fruit that comes with it!  It's not just another chore for me, unless it's figuring out what to cook!  So to mom, thank you.  I love you and just when you thought you might not have contributed to my greatness of cooking.... I surprised you! ;)  Now if you could just give me all your old recipes that I love, then we'd be in business!

Check out my mom's pancake recipe on my new blog I'm Hung-ry!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

that is so nice that your mom always had breakfast for y'all. my dad would make oatmeal and cream of wheat in the winter, and occasionally he'd make pancakes for breakfast on sundays, but that was it.
i'll have to give your mom's recipe a try, as both boys and bart LOVE pancakes...IHOP is our latest best friend, actually.

Erica said...

What a great thing to learn from your mom. Like you, you know I'm all about fresh, from-scratch, home cooking. I don't use a whole lot of my mom's recipe either, but I do love some of the ideas about food she's taught me.

Erica said...

What a great thing to learn from your mom. Like you, you know I'm all about fresh, from-scratch, home cooking. I don't use a whole lot of my mom's recipe either, but I do love some of the ideas about food she's taught me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin