9.22.2012

Scary Grateful

Thursday was just like any other ordinary weekday for me. Drop Trevor off at the babysitter's house, go to work, pray I don't have to stay late, leave and get Trevor and head home.  Not terribly unusual about that.  Until I reach the 1 mile stretch to my house.  I turn left on to Antioch Rd., see a lady is turning left in her subdivision so I start slowing down.  Pretty fast at first (cause I'm in Markus' car not my truck) and then realize I have a little more room than I anticipated, so I coasted into her and come to a stop.  I'm a retard when it comes to driving sometimes, and constantly look in my rear view to see who's behind me while I'm stopped.  IDK it's just interesting to me I guess.  Until I see this person in a truck fastly approaching my vehicle.  I panicked.  I thought surely they will stop.  She got closer and closer.  I think I looked away and still panicked and started screaming they aren't going to stop.  I couldn't go anywhere!!!  All I remember is the truck slamming into my vehicle, and me being pushed into oncoming traffic (it's only a 2-lane Hwy) and I'm in the middle of the road.  I didn't even realize another vehicle hit mine in the front until I pulled over and saw it in the ditch.  My screaming really scared Trevor.  He was screaming at the top of his lungs too.   My Momma intuitions kicked in.  All I knew is I had to get my baby out of the car.  I couldn't open my door at first.  I was mad.  The madness quickly set in and overtook my whole body (as it usually does).  Once I got my door open I got out, screamed a few choice words towards her vehicle and ran around to the other side of the car where my poor little son sat.  THE DOOR WOULD NOT OPEN!!!!  LET ME REPEAT, THE DOOR WOULD NOT OPEN!  I was not the happiest camper.  I wanted to run across the road and beat the living tar out of whoever it was that hit me.  My baby's life was just put in danger.  You do not mess with my baby.  Ever!  Period.  But somehow my brain turned back to my son.  I couldn't think how I was to get to stupid door open.  I pulled and yanked.  The handle was seriously about to break.  I opened the passenger door.  Then thought, I can't get him out like this.  My brain was dumb.  So I ran around to the other door (drivers side back door) and opened it.  He was so upset.  I was dying inside because he couldn't talk.  All he could do was cry.  I wanted to cry.  I didn't know how to.  I sort of forgot how to when I saw my baby in shambles.  Shaking, I managed to pull him out of his car seat and do what Momma's do, bring their child close to the chest.  I kissed him and loved him like I never had before.  I was so thankful I could get him out of his seat.  I then went to the drivers seat to get my phone.  I didn't know who to call first.  Seriously I know that is the most retarded thing to say, but that was my reality.  I dialed 911 then quickly hung up.  I thought, I need the Sheriff's office not 911.  Not sure how that made more sense to me, but it did.  So I started shuffling thru my contacts (it used to be on speed dial) and right before I found it, my darling husband was ringing in.  I was somehow relieved to see his name on my phone.  I answered it.  He later told me that when I answered the phone and told him we were in an accident, I sounded like I had a concussion.  I was so out of sorts.  Imagine that?  Anyway, I don't ask for help as a general rule, but he asked if he should come by and I said yes.  He said ok, I'm on my way.  I hung up and was on my way to the sheriff's call.  Gave them all the details and proceeded to check on the others.  I looked across the street and then down the road and that is when I saw another car in the ditch.  I couldn't even remember being hit by another car, but there she was in the ditch.  I felt horrible and even madder at the lady who hit me.  So across the street I go to check on her.  I asked her if she was ok.  She was stretched across the front seat of the truck and all she said was, "I hit my head, I hit my head".  I didn't have a lot of compassion at that point and turned around and walked back across the street to check on the people in the ditch.  Now, I must say if this accident could have happened anywhere better, it would have to have been in front of a hospital.  It happened in front of the St. George Fire Dept building.  Lucky lady, cause she had Medics at her becking call.  So that is why I wasn't too worried, or compassionate for the record.  My heart sank again when I got to the passenger(S) whose car was in the ditch.  They had 4 people in the car!  Of which, 2 were boys.  I was so sad.  They appeared to be fine.  The driver hit her head on the windshield.  She was bleeding.  I was so apologetic.  I couldn't stop saying sorry.  I talked with the little boys who were more in shock than anything.  It was so awful.
Candy Red's short life :(

A side view

Close up, see Markus' golf clubs?
I've stared at these pics for a day now and have come up with this.  I'm grateful number one.  Out of all the people involved in the wreck, we didn't have any bleeding or heads against the windshield.  It's crazy.  Second, I truly believe if it wasn't for Markus' bag of golf clubs and the big heavy duty ice chest (both of which we forgot to hand out last weekend) Trevor might have been badly injured.  The mangled trunk would have been at his little feet/legs.  Thirdly, had he not been in a rear-facing car seat, he probably would have been hurt by the impact.  I am truly grateful that the Lord saw fit to put all of these things in the way of my little son.  I am so thankful he is ok.
The front of the car that also was hit by the oncoming traffic.

Another side view

Poor Candy.

My awesome lightweight stroller is stuck in the mangled car :(  We couldn't get it out.

So now, it's just a wait and see if it's totaled.  We have started shopping for new cars just in case.  I think shopping for cars is worse than shopping for houses.  So this isn't the exciting part for me.  Especially since I'm so cheap and cars so aren't!  I pray we can get into something comparable if that is what it turns out to be.  Candy was sure perfect for us in a lot of different ways.  But she is replaceable.  What a huge inconvenience.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin