10.07.2012

A Blessing in disguise

Another long and hard week under my belt.  Only this one yielded new surprises... with my body.  I am still having back pain, not unbearable by any stretch, but nonetheless... it's there.  And it wasn't there before the accident.  So, I decided after getting a message the week before last and that only holding me over a day, and the prescribed Flexerel not doing anything, I had to do something!  So I booked an appointment with an Orthopedic Dr.  After filling out a series of paperwork, I got some X-rays taken and waited for the Dr.  I spoke to the PA (I thought he was the Dr.) briefly about the accident and the annoying pain that would not go away!  He then said he would get with Dr. Smith to look at the X-rays.  I thought, how weird and then waited.  Well much to my surprise he told me I had fractures in my back!  If you were like me, I needed it to be said again, I HAVE FRACTURE(S) IN MY BACK!!!  I freaked!  I was not prepared to hear that.  No way, no how.  My mouth dropped as the Dr. had this look on his face like, "I'll take it this is the first time you have ever received this news" look.  Then once I got over it... kind of if there is such a thing... he said they look like they have been there a while.  I'm not sure if this was supposed to make me feel better, but I've only had one time in my life where I had the most terrible back pain EVER.  That was when I was in middle school, and I went to the chiropractor and 2 visits later I was healed... or so I thought.  He said perhaps the fractures dated back to that incident.  As if he wasn't done, we continued to look at the X-rays and he showed me where I have a bone moving in my back/hip area.  I said oh ok, isn't that normal?  I am so naive!  He said No!  Bones aren't supposed to move.  I think I as trying to make myself feel better.  Ok, so great, now what.  I asked him what could be done for this, he said to stabilize it.  Um excuse me, what exactly does that mean?  The Dr. proceeded to say if it wasn't bothering me, he suggested leaving it alone.  Well, being that I had only JUST received this news 5 minutes previously, it only had time to marinate and bother me of course.  So all I could mutter was, "Um, I'm good".  I was so disappointed in my body.  All I could think of was, I'll never have another baby.  The Dr. wrote me up an order for Physical Therapy 3x a week and said he wanted to see me back in 6 weeks.  I got a Prednisone pack and an anti-inflammatory on top of that.  He assured me by the end of therapy that I should be feeling better and hopefully have minimal pain.  I do want to trust in his judgement, but I'm left to think what the heck!  It definitely answers a lot of questions about the weirdness I have felt in my back. 

So as I have had a little less than a week to absorb all of the above mentioned, I can't help but think what a blessing in disguise this truly was.  How the Lord held my hand and lead me to get help for my poor aching body.  (I wanted to insert old in that last sentence, but couldn't bare to as 30 is quickly approaching).  I know the Lord performs miracles everyday, and my prayer is that my body will heal or at least get stronger to take on what lies ahead for me and my family.  Goodness knows I miss riding my bike and doing yard work and yearning for another baby and everything else that hurts my back at the moment.  I'm trying to see the good in this as I seek help for what I had no idea even existed in the first place, other than pain.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin