7.11.2012

Bye Bye LSU

It's almost officially official... December 2012 Graduate, could it be?  Markus hasn't quite scheduled his last class (we are in the process of gathering funds... more on that later in the post), but it's right around the corner.  I have so many mixed emotions about this coming semester I don't even know where to begin.  Firstly, I don't believe it.  The day has never felt close.  There has been so many changes both ups and downs in Markus' college education over the last 10 years we have bee together, it's crazy.  I'm waiting for the last curve ball to be thrown this semester... I hope I'm not right and he can get the hell out of there before we shuffle more money into their bank account!  However, it feels like the cleanest new beginning, I'm eager to smell, taste, and reap rewards of all of our hard work.  I think mainly Markus' hard work.  I've been more of the complainer than anything (I'm sure Markus would agree), lol!  He has seriously done some working to make this all happen.  Some days I wonder how he did it all, work full time AND go to school!  I remember his last semester at BRCC he had 5 classes and had to make A's in all of them in order to get into LSU.  <CRAZY!  At times, he worked more than 50+ hours and still went to school.  Yes here have been semesters off here and there.  Sometimes necessary, others not.  But nonetheless we can proudly say that we won't have any student loans to speak of and can walk away from LSU with no excess baggage other than an extra piece of paper we might hang on the damn wall!  And rightfully so!  That piece of paper has earned it's keep at our house and THEN SOME!   We are even clearing out the house making room for it by having a garage sale in a few weeks.  I originally wanted the proceeds to go to something fun, but the dreaded question of tuition rapidly came to the forefront of my mind... and naturally it only seemed fair to give it to LSU.  But it will be the last time!   (Minus Football Season Tickets, LOL!)

I can't help but think of our future and what it holds for us with no college tuition?!?  Which quickly turns my thought process to my little man Trevor.  I have been thinking a lot about his college education.  My mom wasn't in any position to put any of us thru school.  However, always taught us the importance of getting an education.  We knew it and pushed hard to qualify for the TOPS program in LA.  Of course, I forfeited that by moving my Senior Yr. in high school.  But that's another story for another day.  Then Markus was a tenth of a point away from qualifying for the TOPS Program, which fell onto his parents to pay for tuition.  He tells me they paid for his first semester, but when he didn't make the grades, they stopped.  I believe if I'm not mistaken, that he had to maintain a certain GPA and they would continue to pay for it.  That seems fair enough.  But Markus has a different opinion of it all.  I asked him shortly after Trevor was born or sometime around then what our plans were for Trevor and college?  To which I vividly remember him saying he wouldn't pay for it, or to that affect.  I remember being shocked out of my mind, especially knowing how long he (and I) have been paying for his schooling.  Recently, we revisited the subject.  To my surprise he didn't remember saying he wouldn't pay for college.  I was so relieved.  I went on to tell him how to me as a parent, it just makes sense to help your child to put his best foot forward and help out with college!  Is it just me?  Now I'm sure the argument would come into play... as long as you are able, etc. etc.  But isn't that the whole point of starting now, and planning to pay for college?  I feel such a responsibility raising a son to help him to be a provider for his wife and kids one day.  I would hate to see it take him as long as it has taken Markus to get thru college... though there have been some contributing factors to it, I don't want Trevor's to be about $$.  I tell you I would do anything for that child.  Man I love that kid.  But for now, I can just wait for him to get into college... wait and SAVE!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin