With an extra day off over the New Year holiday (I usually have to work New Years Eve) I had a lot of time to do stuff. Anything I wanted. It was nice. Especially since I've been in a "nesting" mode lately. Cleaning house of sorts. Same goes for my life. I'm almost cleaning it too! LOL. In the past few months I have had so many different things come up (car accident, pregnancy, turning 3-0, etc.) to help me to do this cleaning. And I want to expound on that cleaning concept which I'll call Investments. Call it what you want, but the word "Investment" when explained to me really struck me in a way to get me moving.
Let's just take for instance money. In looking at where, what, when, and who to invest your money in, you are specifically looking for somewhere secure, something you can probably trust, and maybe more importantly if you can get a return on your investment. Right? So, as it's been put to me in a similar way, why wouldn't we invest our time with the same caution and concern? I myself had never really thought of it that way before, until I thought about it like this. Time, it's something we all have the SAME amount of. By that token, no we don't know when our last day is, but we all hope that when the day starts we have 24 hours in it. Now unlike money, once time is invested, we can't get it back. Only in the way that we hope it can be returned. But it isn't always, is it? And THAT is what I'm going to try a little harder at. Spending my time doing things I love. Spending my time being with people I love. Spending my time where I love. And so on and so forth. There is nothing more hurtful than thinking someone was your friend and it turns out to be one-sided. Or committing yourself halfway to doing something you love like gardening only not to yield any fruit or flowers because the proper time wasn't invested. Or not being able to put better meals on the table because time was short and put somewhere else. These are just some examples of the many that I have REconsidered.
I'm looking forward to seeing some fruits of my labors in 2013. Fabulous example, Markus will be finishing college in May of 2013 now. I couldn't be more overjoyed. We have been together for 10.5 years and Married for 7.5 years and I have been there the whole time supporting him, encouraging him, and providing the way for him to continue his journey for his diploma and get an education for himself. It's been a learning experience. I've learned a lot of good things and a lot of bad things from it. Anyone who knows him well enough, he will tell you it's been a hard road. He has paid for this out of his pocket (minus one semester). Not easy. Today's student gets finished a lot faster and usually pays for it out of his pocket much later in life. Markus chose a different route. Can't fault him for that. He had his mind made up about that before I met him. What a blessing it will be not to have any student loans to speak of when that diploma meets his hand. For this I am thankful for this life-altering experience.
Another fine example, Motherhood. That is a life-long investment. I knew that when I entered those waters. I don't know if that is the reason I waited so long. But regardless, the journey has been a bitter sweet one. The sweetness lasts so long, it's easy to forget the bitter times and before you know it, you are at it again :). There could never be more precious time spent than that you give to a little one. I was so protective over this in Trevor's first year at least and some into this one. Until I realized that it might be ok for someone else's time to be invested in him too. That is important too. Every minute I wanted to make count. Some days I'm better at this than others. But there is nothing better at this very moment/stage in his life than seeing those pearly whites in his smile light up his whole face and feeling that gentle kiss on my lips and his tight embrace. Man it could last forever and it still wouldn't be long enough! I'd do anything for that baby. And I'll do anything to protect him. Still trying to figure out how that love will be divided. I'm sure it will be easy :). I'm still in lala land with this pregnancy. I'm hoping to come out of the clouds soon and start taking care of business. Perhaps when I find out the gender I will be more motivated to do so. Until then, let the bliss continue.
We truly have so much to look forward to as we do each year at this time. It's a perfect time to reflect on the past year and an even better time to anticipate and look forward to the future and what a year holds. I know one thing, it holds the same amount of time in it than it does for the next person. What will you do with your time? I'm hoping to invest mine in my garden like the kind you eat. The other comes so naturally. In people that truly want to have a relationship with me and care about my life/family. In my church calling which I get so much fulfillment out of teaching the little children. In hobbies I once enjoyed, but seem like ancient history... not anymore! In activities that will better my life and that of my family's. I could go on, but you get the point. Oh last thing, I'll be starting this book tomorrow when it arrives in the mails. I'm so excited. Here's to a fabulous 2013! Happy New Year Yall!
No comments:
Post a Comment